About the Meditation Teacher Academy
The program is delivered in two components: a self-paced, distance learning module—the Meditation Foundation Course—followed by an 8-day, in-person Teacher Training Intensive. In total, it consists of 200 hours of training in the theory, science, teaching, and practice of meditation and mindfulness.
The first part of the curriculum is a 150-hour, self-paced Meditation Foundation Course…
As part of the Meditation Foundation Course you’ll receive:
- A Course Advisor is assigned to serve as your meditation mentor and will support you as you go through the program and experience transformation
- A comprehensive 10 Lesson course of study which examines the origins, history, science, and modern-day approaches to meditation and mindfulness practices…
Admissions for the Meditation Teacher Academy are rolling, start the training at any time. To apply, you must submit the Student Application & Health Information Form, 200–500 word essay on why you would like to become a meditation teacher, two personal recommendations written by people who support you and your commitment to be a meditation & mindfulness teacher, and a $35 non-refundable application fee…
Become a Professional Meditation Teacher
Help people transform their lives through the practice of meditation
Teaching meditation is a calling. And perhaps you’ve heard the call.
Those of us who practice meditation live with expanded awareness and our lives are infused with peace, creativity, and compassion. We’ve experienced transformation on every level: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual.
Many of us who have experienced the benefits of meditation and mindfulness have a deep desire to share it with others.
At MMI, we believe a new meditator should be mentored by an experienced professional; someone who can take the mystery out of meditation and mindfulness and make it accessible to everyone, regardless of their cultural beliefs or religious traditions. When someone is taught to meditate correctly, he or she is more likely to continue to meditate on their own and can soon experience the myriad benefits that meditation provides.
A professional meditation and mindfulness teacher should be able to mentor the student every step of the way: helping them to understand what mindfulness and meditation are, giving them keys to a successful practice, teaching them how to practice a variety of techniques, addressing their personal concerns, educating them on the benefits they can receive, helping them to navigate the obstacles they may face in practice, and giving them advice on how to sustain an everyday meditation and mindfulness practice.
Overview of the Meditation & Mindfulness Teacher Training Program
With more than 20 years of experience teaching meditation, the McLean Meditation Institute’s founder Sarah McLean, along with experts in brain science, child development, corporate training, public speaking, yogic philosophy, and ancient wisdom, have developed a comprehensive 200-hour meditation and mindfulness teacher training certificate program which is now offered through the Meditation Teacher Academy, a licensed post-secondary educational institution.
The Meditation Teacher Academy teacher training program provides the training, support, and coaching you’ll need to prepare you to deliver professional meditation instruction to your clients, patients, family, and the general public. Whether you want to incorporate teaching meditation into your existing profession, share meditation with your friends and family members, bring it into schools or into corporate settings, or start a meditation center or private practice, you’ll have the knowledge and tools to do just that. And there are even some people who embark on the training simply to deepen their own personal meditation and mindfulness practice.
The Meditation Teacher Academy curriculum offers a comprehensive study into the theory, science, practice, and teaching of meditation and mindfulness. You will experience and explore a wide variety of scientifically-proven meditation techniques. You’ll also receive a high degree of specialized training in the knowledge, skills, and presence necessary to teach a variety of mindfulness practices and meditation.
The program consists of a 200-hour training offered in two components: a Meditation Foundation Course, which you do online at your own pace; followed by a Teacher Training Intensive, which is an 8-day retreat and practicum in Sedona, Arizona. There are rolling admissions so you can start the program at any time.
- The 150-hour Meditation Foundation Course is a self-paced, distance learning and personal practice course which will guide you in an extensive study in the theory, history, and practice of mindfulness and meditation. The course is taught through reading requirements, online programming, a 10-part live teleseries, report writing, research, attendance at various programs local to the student, and open book exams. The teleseries consists of ten 1 to 2 hour teleconferences over a three-month period that are recorded so students can go at their own pace and easily make up missed calls. This course can be started anytime. The average student needs from 3 to 6 months to complete this course. You’ll be assigned a meditation mentor who will personally coach you through the program. Find out more here.
- The 50-hour, Teacher Training Intensive is an 8-day 50-hour course in Sedona, Arizona. The Intensive is set up as a meditation retreat which features practical training in teaching meditation and mindfulness. The intensive incorporates secular, non-religious meditation practices, education about the effects of acute and chronic stress on the body and mind, restorative yoga and other movement practices (no experience required, all body types welcome), brain science lectures, facilitated discussions and exercises, and deep connection with peers. There are modules addressing the business of meditation including marketing, public relations, and public speaking. Find out more here.
Will You Make a Great Teacher?
Learning to meditate can be a fundamentally transformative experience, essential for those longing to live peacefully in our modern world. Teaching meditation expands this experience. As a meditation and mindfulness teacher, your work in the world will be more fulfilling and your own personal meditation and mindfulness practice will evolve and deepen.
If you are looking for more passion, meaning, and purpose in your life, and are a therapist, counseling professional, educator, life coach, executive, manager, healer, yoga teacher, or someone who wants to deepen the work you’re already doing in the world, and you are committed to being a guide for others and called to serve a greater cause, the meditation teacher training at the Meditation Teacher Academy is designed for you. By sharing the power of mindfulness and meditation with your students, family, clients, or patients, you can help them discover newfound strength, vitality, creativity, and well-being in their everyday lives.
A great meditation teacher has:
- A dedicated personal meditation practice, one that they’ve been doing every day for a substantial length of time;
- A deep knowledge of the mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual science-based benefits of meditation;
- A commitment to their practice even when times are tough… or, if they started because times were tough, they remain committed to their practice when life got easier;
- Experience in the tangible benefits of meditation in their own lives and the ability to articulate them;
- Mental, physical, and emotional balance;
- A grounded, yet light-hearted approach to life and meditation;
- Respect for other people’s personal beliefs and credo, no matter how different they may be from their own;
- Respect for nature and the world around them.
Graduates of the program include:
- Physicians, Nurses, Midwives, Medical School Students;
- Psychologists, Therapists, Counselors, Social Workers, Addiction Professionals;
- Massage Therapists, Physical Therapists, Acupuncturists, Healers;
- Educators, Elementary and High School Teachers, College Professors;
- Yoga Teachers, Pilates Instructors, Physical Trainers, Fitness Gurus;
- Healers, Health and Wellness Coaches;
- Media professionals, Writers, and others seeking to share a powerful, natural stress-reduction and healing modality with people they care about.
Start your journey today and do your part to create peace on earth—one person at a time. Become an inspiring teacher, effective educator, and trusted mentor trained to teach scientifically proven, time-tested meditation techniques and mindfulness practices at the Meditation Teacher Academy. Apply to the meditation teacher academy here.
Find out if this training is for you.
Contact an admissions counselor to find out more. 928-204-0067
The Meditation Teacher Academy teacher training program is licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
From the first opportunity I met her I knew that Sarah could help me to learn to do what she does—help others realize their full potential. Sarah helped me to translate my thoughts and ideas into action. By working with her I discovered exactly what I was longing to do—help women discover God's purpose for their lives!
My intention was to give myself a meaningful weekend to honor myself. Not only did I honor myself, I had the most incredible, transformational experience of my life.
Your meditation class was an amazing experience that I will not forget. After meditating with you, I haven’t ever felt like that in my whole life. Thank you.
After taking the meditation program, I am more clear of what I need and want, and more trusting of my inner voice. I no longer take anti-depressants which I have been on for years. I feel more secure in my self and my life.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are looking for more passion, meaning, and purpose in your life, then the teacher path may be right for you. As a meditation teacher you will act as a guide for others who wish to gain the benefits of meditation. If you want to deepen the work you’re already doing in the world and feel called to serve through teaching meditation, the Meditation Teacher Academy teacher certification program is designed for you.
The Meditation Teacher Academy offers a complete course in the theory, science, and practice of meditation. The program is designed to prepare you to deliver professional meditation instruction. You’ll receive the specialized training necessary to teach mindfulness, various meditation practices, and Simple, Easy, Every Day (SEED) Meditation—a powerful daily meditation practice suitable for anyone.
Meditation Teacher Training is ideal for:
- Healthcare Professionals
- Mental Health Professionals
- Body Work and Healing Professionals
- Fitness Instructors
- Health and Wellness Coaches
- Anyone wants to contribute to world peace
Meditation teachers provide a unique service to those seeking balance and peace. Some traits and habits particularly beneficial to becoming a great meditation teacher include:
- A dedicated, daily, sustained personal meditation practice.
- A deep knowledge of the mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual benefits of meditation.
- Personal experience with the tangible benefits of meditation, and the ability to articulate them.
- Mental, physical, and emotional balance.
- A grounded, yet light-hearted approach to life and meditation.
- Respect for each person’s personal beliefs and values, no matter how different from one’s own.
Sarah McLean, founder and director of the McLean Meditation Institute, meditation expert, and best-selling Hay House author is the primary teacher of the Meditation Teacher Academy. Sarah has been teaching meditation and leading retreats since 1993. Sarah invites guest presenters, experts in teaching and the field of meditation, and those who have lived with meditation as a daily practice for years to assist with the program. She is committed to delivering the most comprehensive meditation certification program possible. Sarah oversees and participates in every aspect of the Meditation Teacher Academy teacher training program.
Adjunct faculty members include a top-notch yoga instructor, speaking coach, marketing and social media experts, brain science and physiology instruction, along with program graduates who serve as teaching assistants.
First you must apply to the Meditation Teacher Academy by submitting the completed application, a brief 200-500 word essay introducing yourself, and sharing why you are interested in teaching meditation, two letters of recommendations, and the application fee. Once we receive all the application documents, and the application fee, we will contact you to schedule an interview. If you are selected to enroll, you will receive an Enrollment Agreement and course catalogue. Return the signed Agreement and pay the tuition. Welcome instructions will be emailed to you, along with an introduction to your course advisor.
Enrollments are rolling. Begin the self-paced course at any time. You will have 18 months from the date of enrollment to complete the program.
We do our best to keep tuition costs down in order to provide an affordable training opportunity. The Meditation Teacher Academy does not provide scholarships or work exchange opportunities.
There are 10 lessons in the Meditation Foundation Course. Each lesson requires 10–15 hours to complete. Depending on your pace, each lesson can take from one to three weeks. To plan how long it will take you to complete the course, determine how much time you can allot per week and figure out how long it would take to complete the 150 hours of reading, assignments, and practice. For example, if you allot 10 hours a week, then you could complete your distance learning in three to four months.
A private secure online resource page is where you will access teleseminars, videos, online quizzes, and more. You will be writing, journaling, practicing meditation, and gathering research, and sharing many of these exercises with a study buddy from the program.
The teleseminars are ongoing. The live calls are announced, but they are also recorded so you can begin listening at any time. It is suggested that you wait until you are involved in the lesson that the teleseminar is based on before listening. It’s your choice.
You’ll need to keep up your daily meditation practice of 30–40 minutes for a minimum of one year. It’s an issue of integrity and we ask our teachers to walk the walk. If you don’t have an ongoing personal practice, we’ll help you to establish one, however you won’t be able to attend the Intensive until you’ve been immersed in a daily meditation practice for one full year.
Your will submit your completed assignments at least 21 days before you arrive for your scheduled Intensive.
You will indicate the Intensive program you would like to attend on your Enrollment Agreement. This reserves your place. To be officially registered you must be on track to complete the Meditation Foundation Course and send in your assignments at least 21 days before the start of the Intensive. If you find you are not ready to attend the Intensive, you are allowed one Intensive date change at no charge, as long as you let us know in writing at least 30 days in advance of the Intensive date you were scheduled to attend. We limit Intensive attendance to 27 to make sure the retreats remain intimate and students get the right amount of personal attention. This retreat provides the final 50 hours of teacher training. The days are long and filled with activity. This is not a good time to try to coordinate a family vacation while you are in class. You will need your evenings for homework, meditation, and sleep.
The Teacher Training Intensive programs are held at the Agave Center in Sedona, and at various off-site locations less than two miles away from the McLean Meditation Institute. Participants can stay wherever they choose, and there are many options for accommodations. You can visit our Sedona Resources page to find out how to get to Sedona and where to stay. Many students make plans to share rides and rooms. You will meet quite a few other students in the program online, and can make plans ahead of time.
The coldest month in Sedona is December. There is sometimes a light dusting of snow, and Sedona looks like a magical scene. If there is a snowstorm, the drive over the pass (going north on I-17) is a bit difficult, so you would have to plan around it. The hottest month is June, when temperatures can reach over 100 degrees. Since temperatures can fluctuate up to 40 degrees in one day, you’ll want to check the local weather forecast before you pack.
At the end of this teacher training, you will have mastered your teaching skills, and be prepared to teach meditation immediately. To support you in your teaching ambitions, we provide a Dropbox full of teacher resources—lesson plans, research, presentations, book study outlines, and more. You will also be invited to join a web-based community of MMI certified teachers, where you will have access to regularly scheduled support teleseminars, and the opportunity to attend our Meditation Teacher Symposium in Sedona, offered every two years.
There are over one million people learning how to meditate each year in the U.S. alone! People are seeking certified meditation professionals to teach meditation and mindfulness skills. While some individuals view meditation as a path to enlightenment, many more are interested in a secular approach to helping manage day-to-day stress, improve sleep, increase concentration, and help alleviate some chronic health concerns. The door is wide open for sharing a variety of meditation techniques with the populations you will serve.
You will need confidence, creativity, willingness, and an entrepreneurial spirit. Meditation will help you cultivate these qualities and more. You will be in a position to build your credibility with experience and exposure. This could include setting up free appearances, writing articles, and marketing yourself and your programs in print, TV, radio, social media, and on websites and blogs. You’ll have a tribe of MMI teachers cheering you on